Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Castle Fever

Wikipedia, the commonly consulted internet dictionary source, partially describes “cabin fever”  (also known as House Syndrome) as “an idiomatic  term for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in, in a small space, with nothing to do, for an extended period . Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, irrational frustration with everyday objects, forgetfulness, laughter, excessive sleeping,  and an urge to go outside even in the (less miserable) rain, snow or dark.” Well,  then I’ve got a big time case of “Castle fever,” just add debilitating pain to that definition above. The definition of cabin fever above fits me perfectly with the exception that my small space is not a house but our motorhome. It is NOT the elements or climate keeping me confined to the motorhome but I have as bad a case of sciatica as I can find and read about on the internet. Thank goodness I have the technology I have (tv, computer, internet, ipod) or I’d be going nuts. Barbie is a saint. When she vowed on for this gig over 36 years ago, “for better and for worse, in sickness and in health”, I’m sure she never imagined the past 80 or so hours of hell I’ve put her through. The first 36 hours after we got back from the ER at Mountain Lakes Medical Center were hell, pure and simple. The shot and tablet they gave me at the hospital barely took the edge off my discomfort. My legs and feet continued to get numb to the point I couldn’t put any weight on them at all. I was a prisoner in the bedroom of the rv. I couldn’t get comfortable in any position. I was counting minutes until I was due to take the next meds. Pitiful huh? I was trying to get sleep in a sitting position leaning up against a plastic clothes hamper which was sitting on the bathroom sink edge with a small pillow on it. I’m sure you can’t even imagine what I just described. I decided that by Tuesday morn, come hell or high water, I was gonna get to the living area somehow to my recliner. If I could get there at least I figured I could get some rest. I used a folding camper chair as an imitation walker and struggle out of the bedroom for the first time since Saturday. Emotionally, that was a major accomplishment. I could now see the mountains and outside world plus it was more comfortable to sit since I now had a back to the chair. Last night I fell asleep at 12:30am and slept in the recliner until 3:25 when Barbie gave me my next set of meds. I fell back to sleep, and soundly too, until 9:30. Barbie went out yesterday and bought a walker for me. I can honestly say that the numbness in the lower legs and feet is scary but now with the walker I can work on getting back on my feet and building some strength.  I’ve got to be able to stand on my own and be walking soon. Then, Barbie and I will be able to get out on the interesting excursions we’ve planned to write about when we started this blog. ‘Til next time….


sandra said...

It may take time, but you will be back to your old self soon!!! Be careful and don't rush it.
Love, Pat and Sandie

Kathy Haughey said...

So sorry to hear about your pain, Jeff. If you get mobile enough, maybe you can loosen up in the pool? That might help your back.

Linda Coleman said...

This too shall day at a time. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and soon you will be back on track. Thinking of you and wishing for pain free days ahead.
Steve and Linda